Argentina faced Brazil in the World Cup qualifiers in Sao Paulo in September last year. In the 6th minute of the match, the officials of the Brazilian health department entered the field to catch the four Argentine players after breaking the Corona ban.
There were also clashes between players and health officials. The match was postponed for this unprecedented event. FIFA, the governing body of football, has ordered the match to be resumed on Monday.
A FIFA statement said: “The FIFA disciplinary committee has ruled that the match should be re-played in the light of various investigations into the matter. FIFA will decide the date and place of the match.
- Ads -
Brazil and Argentina have confirmed that they will play in this year’s World Cup in Qatar from the South American region (Conmebol). The top two places in this 10-team qualifier are guaranteed for Brazil and Argentina.
The two teams have three more matches in hand, including the one that was canceled last September. The top four teams in the points table from the South American region qualifiers will play directly in the Qatar World Cup.
- Ads -
The Brazilian Department of National Health (Anvisa) said four Argentine footballers who played for the English club had to be “immediately quarantined” in order to break the Covid-19 ban.
Argentina’s Cristian Romero, Emiliano Martinez, Giovanni Lo Celso and Emiliano Buenda have been accused of giving “false information” to enter Brazil, according to the country’s health department.
A FIFA statement said: “The lack of accountability on both sides is the source of the suspension.” FIFA has banned four Argentine players for two matches.
- Ads -
The football federations of Brazil and Argentina have been fined 500,000 and 200,000 Swiss francs, respectively. The federations of the two countries were fined 50,000 Swiss francs for postponing the match.